The Annual Science Fair returns to Brentwood on Thu, Jan 24. Nearly 150 students have already expressed interest in this year’s Science Fair!
Here’s what you need to know:
- It’s not too late to sign up. To sign up, your child should return the blue “I’m interested” sheet (don’t worry, we’ve got a copy for you here!) you received in your Wednesday folder. A couple of days later, you’ll receive a white packet with detailed information of expectations, rules and procedures. So basically, it’s not too late to sign up! You can visit the beautiful Central Public Library and/or browse great Science Fair websites for ideas. Projects can be done individually or in teams of 2 or 3. To volunteer, contact Pam Johns at email@example.com.
- The rules matter. A lot. Pay close attention to the list of often-overlooked rules that, when ignored, can result in confused tears on the big day. Projects don’t make it through the gym door if they contain display items even as seemingly innocuous as water, plants, dirt, gravel, rocks, sand, etc. Photographs on a display board of these items are a fabulous alternative.
- About 18 non-parent judges have volunteered. We need about 6 more. Judges, sadly, cannot be parents of Brentwood Bulldogs. People with a science/ math /engineering background would be dreamy, but truly, anyone who ever took a science class in high school and harbors a caring heart and deep desire to encourage the future scientists of America would also make an excellent science fair judge. Judges must be able to be at Brentwood for judging on Fri. Jan 25 from 7:30am to 1:00pm. Tell prospective judges to contact Mary Travnick Romansky at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parent Volunteers Needed!
Because so many students have already expressed interest, Ms Joliffe urgently needs parent volunteers. Here’s what you can do:
- Wed, Jan. 23: From 3:15p-4:15p, help set up and label tables in the gym – and possibly overflow in the hallways or library.
- Thu, Jan. 24: From 7:15a-8:30a, help students arrange their projects on the proper tables.
- Fri, Jan. 25: From 3:15p-4:15p, help put away tables.
P.S. Though we’d love to know for sure that we’ve got it covered, parent volunteers can just show up and help, even if they haven’t committed. No sign up? No worries. Just appear and ask how you can help!
Detailed Event Timeline
Wed, Jan 23:
- Parent volunteers help set up tables in the gym after school from 3:15-4:15
Thur, Jan 24:
- Parent volunteers welcome to help students with projects from 7:15-8:30
- PreK & K students bring projects directly to the gym upon arrival
- 1st -5th will get called from their classrooms in waves from 7:45-8:30
- Classes will view the Science Fair from 10am – 2:30 pm
- Families welcome to view the Science Fair from 3 – 6 pm
Fri, Jan 25:
- Gym is closed while judges talk with students from 8 – 12 noon
- Results are tallied and announced over the PA by the end of school
- Invitations sent home to families of 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners to a small reception in the library the following week
- All projects must go home by the end of the day
- Parent volunteers help put away tables after school from 3:15-4:15
Mon, Jan 28:
- Ribbon ceremony during Monday Assembly for PreK-2nd in the gym for all participants
- Small reception in the library for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners in PreK – 2nd grade.
Tues, Jan 29:
- Ribbon ceremony during special Tuesday Assembly for 3rd – 5th in the cafe for all participants
- Small reception in the library for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place winners in 3rd – 5th grade.